Monday, April 20, 2015

TFIOS

As I have continued reading the novel The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, I have become far more hooked than I thought I would be. I didn't expect to love this novel as much as I do. Before I started reading, I thought the novel would be alright, probably just another godawful love story (and let me just tell you, I cannot stand cheesy romances). However, TFIOS has become very attention-grabbing, very quickly. I never believed I would enjoy a romance novel so much. I believe the novel has become so enjoyable for me because of the cancer aspect. Two teenagers, one suffering from cancer, the other in remission, fall in love.
While reading, I was able to see that Hazel Grace Lancaster, the main character of the novel, has changed quite a bit. In the beginning of the novel, I saw that she had a more negative outlook on life and didn't expect much, as she knew her life would be short. However, you are able to steadily see the change in her mindset. After being introduced to Augustus, she has a more positive outlook. Personally, I believe that Augustus gave Hazel a purpose to live. She had just been alive before meeting Augustus. After establishing a real relationship with another person who she could really relate to, she had more of a reason to live, and enjoy the life she had been given, along with all of the flaws that were present as well.
So far I have read up to the point at which Hazel and Augustus plan on traveling to Amsterdam together. They have all of their bags packed and they plan on traveling so that they are able to meet the author of Hazel's favorite novel, Peter Van Houten.
Above you can see an image of Amsterdam during the spring.




No comments:

Post a Comment