Friday, October 24, 2014

Looking for Alaska/The Help

Looking for Alaska/The Help


     This week I finished the novel I was previously reading, The Help. I would say it was quite an amazing book, and I liked it even more than the movie. It was really interesting to be able to read about such cruel conditions back then. There were several slave revolts throughout the book, as it was during the time period of apartheid. in the end, quite a few black slaves ended up rebelling against their masters, and although several had received severe punishments, they had gained their well-deserved freedom.
     I also decided to pick up the well-known novel, Looking for Alaska by John Green. I was actually quite concerned when I picked up the book, as Green is notorious for killing off important characters in his books. I have my tissue-box ready anyways, just in case. The book looks quite interesting (I apologize for judging the book by its cover) and from what I've heard, it's a great read!
     In the beginning of this novel, I was introduced to the character Miles Halter, a junior in Culver Creek High School. I was also introduced to Chip, who is nicknamed The Colonel. The Colonel is a natural leader who is very confident and intelligent. The Colonel starts to take a character named Pudge somewhere, and I look forward to reading on and seeing where he decides to take Pudge. All of the characters are very unique and interesting and I can't wait to read on! :)
A quote found in Looking For Alaska that truly impacted my thinking of the novel.


4 comments:

  1. I really want to read this book! I love John Green. He is such a great author and a great inspiration. Thanks for your take on the story! I will pick this book up off the shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the The Help too and I loved it. I thought it was very interesting. I love John Green. Who do you think would enjoy this novel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I liked how you didn't limit your blog to talking about just one book. You used a good quote too :) I've read both of these books and loved them, hope you do too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this quote ! Its short but very meaningful. It puts things into a perspective that i didn't even think about! Really like it! :)

    ReplyDelete