Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Help

The Help Book Review

         This week I began the novel The Help by Kathryn Stockett. This novel was based on a true story, therefore it is nonfiction. I have just begun the book and I am already quite interested. This novel occurred in the year 1960, therefore it took place in the past and several slaves could be found in almost every household. In the first and second chapter, several characters were introduced. First is a woman named Aibleen. She is a black slave who cares for the child of her master, Elizabeth Leefolt. Mae is the name of the young daughter who Aibleen is the main caretaker of. I believe that Aibleen is extremely hard working, as well as caring. I believe that she is a good person and truly cares for and loves Mae. However, she is treated horribly by Elizabeth, as she is a slave.
           One thing I did not like about the first few chapters i have read so far is the segregation. It is sad to see that men and women were treated so horribly just because of their race. In Ms. Leefolt's home, there were separate bathrooms for blacks and whites. This is how it was during the era of slavery and it is very unfortunate. They were considered to be animals. However, it was well-written and realistic.
              Something I like about the novel so far is how realistic it is. It portrays the way the society worked very well and it was really interesting. I enjoyed getting to know all of the characters. So far, I enjoy the book and I definitely plan on reading on. The author is able to recreate the scenes in a very impressive way. As I have seen the film, it is easy for me to remember what happened and compare it to the novel. The novel is much more vivid and detailed however and I would recommend it.


image of slavery


1 comment:

  1. This is a great post! I also love this book! I liked how you included both what you liked and what you didn't like about the book. I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete